“Be kind, be kind, be kind.” This is a motto of my life. Imagine what a world we would have if we all were kind to one another. Kindness is a practice. The Dalai Lama has said, “The more you nurture a feeling of loving-kindness, the happier and calmer you will be.”
There are so many simple ways to show kindness every day. This could be letting someone move ahead of you while waiting in a grocery line to smiling at a stranger or offering to help someone who is struggling.
One of the greatest acts of kindness we can show is with our words. The way we speak to each other today is often disrespectful, hurtful, and unkind. This plays out in a big way in the media. I ask myself often, “What example are we being for our children?” What we say and how we say it makes a difference.
Try practicing kindness today in this way: Before you speak ask yourself, “Is it true? Is it kind? Is it helpful or harmful? What a great practice on becoming aware.
Recently I was walking in New York City, where my daughter lives, and I began to look into the eyes of everyone walking past me. My sacred mantra began reciting in my mind and I got this overwhelming feeling of love and kindness; the feeling that we are all in this life together.
Blessings and love,
Here are 10 great quotes on kindness:
1. “Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.” ― Henry James
2. “Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution.” ― Kahlil Gibran
3. “You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
4. “We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over; so in a series of kindnesses there is at last one which makes the heart run over.” ― Ray Bradbury
5. “A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal.” ― Steve Maraboli
6. “Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley
7. “Because kindness is passed on and grows each time it’s passed, a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage, years later, and far away.” ― Dean Koontz
8. “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” ― Dalai Lama
9. “When the choice is to be right or to be kind, always make the choice that brings peace.” ― Wayne Dyer
10. “Compassion for others begins with kindness to ourselves.” ― Pema Chödrön
Please share your favorites in the comments below!