“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
Do you have a dream—something you would really like to accomplish? In The Alchemist, Paolo Coehlo writes, “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.” When it comes to taking chances, most of us can really relate to this statement. It’s not easy taking that first step into the unknown. But think about it: if we were sure we would succeed, what wouldn’t we do?!
So, what is the definition of success? I define success as “living life.” If we make a “mistake” or have an error in judgment, this becomes our opportunity to learn, to grow, and to now approach something in a new and more experienced way. Thomas Edison is quoted as saying, “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” This makes me smile, because it is an amazing reminder of how we can shift our thoughts away from the negative to the positive or our perspective from one of failure and dismay to one of effort, perseverance, and faith.
So with courage and taking on that big desire we have for our lives, let’s look at 5 ways to give our dreams wings and take that first step:
- Be clear on your desires. What is your deepest, greatest desire? Many of us are not sure, so the best way I know how to do this is by sitting with myself in silence every morning. In this quiet time, I can tap into my deepest desires, that knowing within that says, This is what I love; This is what I want to do; This is what I want to be. If you have read my book The Practice or if you have been reading my weekly posts, you know that this has been my daily practice for the past 30 years! Try it today—just sit and be with you.
- Learn what it takes. If there is something you wish to do, spend some time researching what sort of effort or knowledge you will need to carry out your dream. If there are certain skills you need to hone or experience you need to gain, start laying the foundation through study and practice.
- Plan your course of action. Creating a game plan to make your dream a reality can include setting small goals that will carry you along your path at a steady pace. You can plan out your road map for the next day, the next week, the next month, the next year. Remember, you may only see the light on that first step, so have faith that, as you take each step, your plan will become clearer.
- Be willing to take chances. Getting from point A to point B isn’t always a straight line. In fact, sometimes it is more like a maze! Hitting a dead end and going back to start is definitely not out of the ordinary when we are testing the waters. The whole journey will be filled with starts and restarts as you explore where the path is leading you in every moment. Be brave and be curious about each step and know that by taking a chance you are realizing your dream.
- Have faith in yourself and your ideas. We all second-guess ourselves from time to time. It is completely normal; we are human after all. But if you find your mind playing tricks on you and saying things like, “What were you thinking? You can’t do that!” change the reel of those negative thoughts and remind yourself that you certainly can. The best and fastest way to tap back into your courage and confidence is meditation! Stop, breathe, meditate, and step in again!
I’m wishing you all the courage you need to step into your dreams fully and step into your life with great enthusiasm. This beautiful reminder from Leonardo da Vinci may be just what is needed to see your dreams take flight:
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”