In the past I thought I would never be able to forgive certain people, the wrongs done to me, the hurt, the anger, mostly because I could not forget these unkind things. In my over 30 years of spiritual practice, I have learned that we don’t forget in order to forgive.
Actually we don’t really want to forget the lessons we have learned because in many instances forgetting could possibly put us in harm’s way. These lessons are teachings that transform us, they help us make wise choices and respond differently in the future.
In my experience, I have found that forgiveness cannot be forced no matter how badly we would like to forgive and forget. When we are struggling to forgive, simply setting an intention to forgive is a powerful step in healing. Forgiveness sets us free- St. Francis of Assisi said, “Those who can not learn to forgive have lost the greatest source of joy in life.”
Below are 10 of my favorite quotes on forgiveness. I hope that they will bring you comfort and inspiration. I would love to hear your inspiration on forgiveness.
Blessings and love,
1. “As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison.” ―Nelson Mandela
2. “Forgive yourself for not knowing what you didn’t know before you learned it.” ―Maya Angelou
3. “The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.” ―Marianne Williamson
4. “If we really want to love, we must learn how to forgive.” ―Mother Teresa
5. “If her past were your past, her pain your pain, her consciousness your consciousness, you would think and act exactly as she does. With this realization comes forgiveness, compassion, and peace.” ―Eckhart Tolle
6. “Forgiveness is an act of self-love.” ―Don Miguel Ruiz.
7. “Forgiveness in no way requires that you trust the one you forgive.” ―Wm. Paul Young
8. “The spike of defensiveness we feel when someone advises us to ‘forgive and forget’ shows how deep our pain has burrowed. Although the people who advise us to do this may have the best intentions, forgiveness cannot be done on command.” ―Sharon Salzberg
9. “Forgiveness is giving up the hope that the past could have been any different.” ―Oprah Winfrey
10. “The act of forgiveness takes place in our own mind. It really has nothing to do with the other person.” ―Louise Hay